Friday, May 27, 2011

STYLE ICONS: Summer 2011


Vickie Miner, Reality Bites
Not only is Ms. Garofalo's hairstyle my current bangs inspiration, her affinity for '70s culture is equivalent to the way I feel about the '90s. Her canary-colored wardrobe and vintage paisley prints are just funky enough for my carefree summer days. {See more}


Blair Waldorf, Gossip Girl
While Serena opts for a nearly skin-colored lacy frock, Blair ups the quirk in this cherry top, contrasting floral skirt and patchwork Chanel bag. Her slouchy beanie puts a downtown spin on the Parisian beret (the girls were in Paris this episode) and compliments the blue in her top very well. I'm all about interesting prints and hats this summer, and this outfit mixes it up in a really unique way. I can dig it.


Iris Steensma, Taxi Driver
I will forever love Jodie Foster's perfectly '70s style in this film. The vintage take on prostitute wear is laughable, as it's more Gidget than whorish. From the amazing floppy hat (next item on my wishlist) to the rose-colored shirt and shorts and the fantastic red platforms (I totally own a pair, and they look rad with tights), everything here is awesome for summer. Even the highwaisted bellbottoms and printed crop top on Iris' companion (trivia: she was a real-life child prostitute) are perfectly retro. Oh, and Iris' 1920s pincurls are beyond presh. Not to mention the sunglasses. Gah!


L'Trimm, "Cars With the Boom" Video
These girls were the younger, sassier, much cooler Madonnas of the 1980s. I am mad in love with their matchy, layered styles and ballin' leggings. From the Joey Jeremiah hats to the cropped punk jackets, it all works in a funky and clever way. I'd wear these outfits OUT and bust a move and/or rollerblade all night long. {Watch Video}


Beyoncé, "Why Don't You Love Me" Video
I clearly saved the best for last. Ms. Knowles is flawless in this video. Channeling the classic '40s-'50s pinup style, the Bettie bangs, red lips, turquoise nails, pastel shoes, plastic accessories and floral lingerie are all spot-on. I want to wear all of her outfits to clean the house, eat ice cream, talk on the phone and bake cookies. Her makeup is perfection, her hair is enviable. I think I'm in love. {Watch Video}






Want.

No comments:

Post a Comment