Friday, May 27, 2011

Don't Worry: This isn't a fashion blog

Growing up in the suburban midwest, it wasn't difficult to stand out when dressing yourself in clothing beyond what's found at the local mall. I've never considered myself "fashionable," but I consider myself mostly wise in my style choices.
Without a lecture or pretending I know what I am talking about, here's a brief rundown on how to catch an eye and gain a compliment every day on a really simple outfit:

1. Dress for your body
This is such a simple rule, but it's one people don't abide by because they are afraid to really analyze their bodies without scrutinizing. I didn't dress for my body for the majority of my life because I was insecure, and I wanted to either cover it up with baggy layers or dress in a way more appropriate for a woman a foot taller than I. Embrace what you have, and look for clothing cut in the shape of your figure. Think long, lean and sleek. I've found that fun 1940s style sundresses compliment my figure, and quirky heels make my short legs look longer while still keeping in tune with my personal taste. Which brings me to my next point —

2. Don't compromise what makes you an individual
If orange is your favorite color, by all means, incorporate a few standout tangerine pieces in your wardrobe! This doesn't mean owning a dozen fruit-colored T-shirts, but keep these special items around to play up a boring outfit. I have a strong affinity towards grunge music (Don't judge me. Middle school was a hard time, OK?!) so instead of dressing head-to-toe in sloppy, outdated '90s gear, I'll toss on a Nirvana tee and pair it with more feminine items like a skirt, cardigan and pretty flats. I'm blending my tastes together to create a style tailored to my personal taste. Balance is key, as it a splash of subtlety and a dash of comfort.

3. Pretend you are really broke
Or if you are, even better. When you are low on funds, buying five of the same itchy sweater isn't quite as important as affording toilet paper. Splurging on a designer handbag just isn't rational. But, if you have a moment of weakness and spend your entire paycheck on a really killer and really special jacket, just make it a one-time thing. You will have that jacket forever, and just imagine how many outfits you can create with it. Be picky! Shop for classic items (T-shirts, cardigans, tights) CHEAP. Thrift stores are magical places. Don't be afraid to dig for a really special treasure. I guarantee you'll love it more than the plain old Hollister hoodie thrown haphazardly on your floor.

4. Find a style icon and refer to him/her when putting together an outfit
If you dig Lucille Ball's 1950s housewife style, use it! Modernize it! Buy polka dot dresses or floral bandanas and mix them into simple ensembles. Is David Bowie's electric suit style more your thing? Buy a few shiny pieces and remember the sharp silhouettes of his onstage costumes. Use what looks beautiful to YOU as your inspiration. Just, please, for the sake of yourself and others, don't turn on MTV to find a style icon. Do you really think Snooki looks amazing? If so, gurrrl...

5. Clean out your closet—If you wouldn't currently spend money on an item you own, get rid of it
Remember this rule: Every time you purchase an item, get rid of one more. Keep a few staple pieces (some expensive, some super cheap) that you genuinely love. Would you buy those jeans again right now? Keep 'em. Would you spend money on those torn up, mud-caked sneakers? Toss 'em. Appreciate your clothing. If you work hard to afford your clothes, they should mean something. The key to having style is knowing how to make an amazing combination out of great objects you already have.

Think of your outfits like pieces of art. I know this sounds ridiculous, but just stay with me here. Great artists can make masterpieces with both expensive oils and their childhood finger paints. If your clothing "speaks to you," your outfit will speak to others.
Just don't be snobby, and don't put too much thought into each outfit. Build your wardrobe by being picky and settling only on items you truly love. Listen to Anthony Kiedis when he says "give it away now." (Lolz, sorry.) If you don't love an item, don't let it hang around tempting you to wear it just because it's there. Give it away to someone who truly needs it.
P.S. Sweatpants look good when you're sick and sleeping on the couch. THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment