Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mod Makeup

While the world continues to gawk at the mod charm of Twiggy and Warholian tragedy of Edie Sedgwick, there was one woman who starred in a satirical art piece I once ordered from a Japanese bootleg website. Qui ĂȘtes vous Polly Maggoo? was this French-language, black and white cinematic gem. The cinematography was ace — stripes are used in outfits and on walls in a purely '60s artsy way. But the real star behind this flick was the makeup artist. The deep blacks of the swan-like eyeliner contrasted with the grays and whites of each frame and made me envy this dark mod style.













{Watch more}

I also see the dazzling Peggy Moffitt up there. Her bowl cut was bad ass.
Here's a pretty good tutorial on how to get a very dramatic 1960s eye makeup look. Slather on some thick false lashes, gel liner and bright white eye pencil on the waterline of the eye and this look is ready for a groovy night out.
As for day time, I prefer to wear a light foundation over SPF moisturizer (to get a nice dewy look), sweep a liquid black eyeliner over my top lashes, curl and cover my lashes in mascara, then top it off with a really bright lipstick. I think I'll save the Maggoo look for a daring night. And man, that haircut is really tempting...

No comments:

Post a Comment