Saturday, May 28, 2011

LITERARY INSPIRATION: Clarisse McClellan

As an avid reader and compulsive collector of books, I like to dream up characters and take great pleasure in imagining their appearances, expressions and movement. One of my all-time favorite novel characters is Clarisse from Ray Bradbury's classic, Fahrenheit 451.

"Her head was half bent to watch her shoes stir the circling leaves. Her face was slender and milk-white, and in it was a kind of gentle hunger that touched over everything with tireless curiosity. It was a look, almost, of pale surprise; the dark eyes were so fixed to the world that no move escaped them."


Upon reading Bradbury's eloquent introduction to this enigmatic female, I suppose I saw a bit of myself in her, or at least I wanted to. The pale skin and dark eyes were something physical I could identify with.

"Her dress was white and it whispered. He almost thought he heard the motion of her hands as she walked, and the infinitely small sound now, the white stir of her face turning when she discovered she was a moment away from a man who stood in the middle of the pavement waiting."


This small girl in a white dress seemed so elegant and alluring. I was drawn in quickly to her ghostly qualities. But it was her odd character and appreciation for life, observance of the world around her and spunky rebellious streak that really solidified her cool factor.

"'Well,' she said, 'I'm seventeen and I'm crazy. My uncle says the two always go together. When people ask your age, he said, always say seventeen and insane. Isn't this a nice time of night to walk? I like to smell things and look at things, and sometimes stay up all night, walking, and watch the sun rise.'"

Like Luna Lovegood or a female J.D. from Heathers, this girl is enigmatic, romantic and an inspiring presence. I picture a fair skinned, fresh faced girl in an Erin Fetherston dress with jet black hair and wide, doll eyes. She probably listens to Stevie Nicks or Tori Amos and seduces every older man she meets with her weird, pretty charm.


She'd be one of these girls, but she'd wander off the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment