Thursday, June 30, 2011

5 FAVORITE THINGS: Beauty Products

They say your body changes every seven years, and I find this to be remarkably true. Seven years ago, I was seeking out beauty products for dry skin, tangled hair and unruly eyebrows. Nowadays, my beauty product collection seems to consist of too many lipsticks, blemish creams and mascaras. Through all the phases one goes through concerning personal appearance, we all know that trial and error seems to be the best method in establishing your essentials. I've compiled a list of beauty products that have worked the best for me throughout my teenage years and twenties. I can thank my mother, a former Avon and Mary Kay sales lady, for teaching me about makeup at an early age and consequently informing me that pounds of makeup doesn't make a girl beautiful; it breaks out her skin and is a huge pain to wash off. The right products can enhance your natural beauty and correct any imperfections that make you uncomfortable. I stand by the mantra "less is more," but I shudder to think of how much money I've spent on useless products when the cheapest items are often the most effective.


Neutrogena Body Lotion - Light sesame formula

This is hands down the best lotion I have ever used. It makes my skin so silky and smooth, and the fusion of oil and light lotion leaves your skin feeling soft all day. The light, clean scent smells wonderful and won't overpower if you choose to wear perfume. This is a great warm-weather lotion that dries quickly and won't sweat off. I also love pump lotion bottles, so that is an added bonus. This formula is great for dry skin and will not leave oily skin clogged.


CoverGirl Aqua Smoothers Foundation

I have a very pale complexion, so finding an inexpensive, quality foundation that matches my skin tone often poses a bit of a problem. However, I was pleased to find that CG Smoothers (in 705 ivory) matched my skin flawlessly. Not only was I pleased with the pigment, I was also surprised at how lightweight this formula is. This a great foundation for days when you want good coverage of any discoloration or dark circles but do not want to cake your face with makeup. The foundation feels like a lotion and does not dry with a chalky finish. You may need to pair this with a concealer for blemishes because the coverage is not thick or matte. I love this foundation for summer. Covergirl also uses the Aqua Smoothers formula in a tinted moisturizer for maximum smoothness and slight coverage.


Pixi Succulent Lip Twin Lipstick/Lipgloss

This lip color combo is awesome for traveling light and transitioning from a day look to a more formal night out. The gloss is shiny and the tint is translucent. The color in the gloss can be seen, but it is not bold like its lipstick partner. The lipstick color is matte and opaque and looks lovely on its own, but when paired with the gloss, lips appear fuller and more dramatic. The gloss is great for summer days, and the lipstick is perfect for nights out. Together, the two make a statement. I purchased the shade Poppy Red, but I am very tempted to try every hue. The only downfall to this compact lip color is the taste - While the shades may look like fruity delights, don't expect them to taste like Lip Smackers.


Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy Body Mist

I stepped into B&B to find a giant half-off sale on tons of the store's aromatherapy products. Because the chain is changing its label design, it is practically throwing away some of the best products. Hence, I purchased the Lavender & Chamomile ("Sleep" - The above is a modified version in Lavender Vanilla) body mist for half off. While most quality perfumes will run you anywhere from $30-$100, I purchased this glass bottle of bliss for a mere $7. One spray of the fragrance lasts all day, and the scent smells like a combination of incense, tea, sweet flowers and clean laundry. I love wearing it because I feel relaxed whenever I catch a whiff. The aromatherapy collection is great to spritz on your bedsheets, body or clothing. Natural scents like orange ginger increase energy, black currant vanilla stimulates sensuality and eucalyptus spearmint decreases stress. I think each of these scents is amazing, and they remind me of drinking tea on a rainy day. I was surprised at how long the body mist lasted on my skin and how inexpensive this great product was.


Eggs!

Yes, you read that correctly. Eggs. More specifically, egg yolks. I've read that egg yolks do wonders for blemishes, and I never really tried it until recently. Let me tell you something - It works! What I like to do is separate the yolks from two eggs, mix them up with my fingers, then apply a thin layer of the yolky goop to my entire face like a mask. I leave this on for about 15-20 minutes until it hardens and becomes difficult to move my mouth or lift my eyebrows. Then I wash it off with a gentle face cleanser and moisturize. The yolk has significantly reduced the size of my blemishes and made my skin incredibly smooth. I've heard that you can also use the egg whites to give you a "temporary face lift," but I just prefer to toss them in a pan with some seasoning and make a tasty egg white omelet.


The second round of my 5 Favorite Beauty Products is coming up! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment